Number of Serving: 4
Total Time: 70 Minutes
Prep Time: 60 Minutes
Total Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Whatever their shape, these cookies make a tasty school-time treat.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cup Pioneer Original or Buttermilk Baking Mix
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, cooled and finely ground
9 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup dried egg whites (found in the baking aisle)
3/4 cup water
- In large mixing bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add Pioneer Baking Mix and ground almonds; mix on low speed to combine.
- Refrigerate dough (covered) for at least 1 hour.
- On a surface dusted with additional Pioneer Baking Mix, roll out half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out letters of the alphabet (or other shapes as desired).
- Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make icing: In medium bowl, stir together powdered sugar and dried egg whites. Stir in just enough of the water to make a spreadable consistency. Divide into several small bowls. Add color by dipping wooden pick into food color, and then into icing, stirring to combine. Add more color as desired.
- Using a pastry brush, brush icing on each cookie to coat top. Place remaining icing in small decorating bag or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Cut off tip of one corner; pipe icing onto cookies to create desired designs.